Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Self-Harming Advice

Hey guys! So since I got quite a bit of positive feedback from my story on depression I decided it would be a good idea to share with you some tips I learned over the years on ways to distract yourself from self harming, and even if this post only helps even just one person, it will be completely worth it.

So over the years I went through depression I learned ways of my own that helped me or ways that my doctor or counselor would tell me to try to help me distract myself from self harming, so let's get right into them!
  • Do any activities or hobbies that you enjoy - this can be difficult as I found with depression I lost my interest for most things I normally enjoyed. But it can be a great distraction if you don't feel this way, read a book, listen to music, watch your favourite shows! It can be absolutely anything to distract yourself.
  • Tell a friend or family member - When I was going through depression I had one certain person that I trusted and who knew about my self harming, and when I felt like I was going to self harm, I would tell her, even if it's a text or a call, skype. Just talk to them about what's bothering you or even just talk about anything! I found this was one of the best distractions for me as I wasn't so alone with the dark thoughts.
  • Put a rubber band around your wrist and pull it, then let it go - This is a great one if you enjoy the pain of self harming, it gives you the short pain almost exactly the same as it would feel self harming, except it doesn't actually harm you and is a safer alternative. I used this a lot and I found it was really effective!
  • Draw lines on your arm or where you prefer in a red marker or pen - This is similar to the above one, but for this one, if you enjoy the blood in self harming, it will give you the similar affect without the actual harming so it's a great way to release any stress you may be feeling without harming yourself in any way.
  • Set a timer to wait 15 minutes - This may sound completely stupid but it works. Set a timer for 15 minutes, and tell yourself to wait 15 minutes before cutting or harming yourself. After the time is up, how do you feel? And has the urge to harm yourself gone?
  • Exercise - Now this is a great one and something I personally do whenever I feel in a bad mood not just in the past to resist self harm. I love working out because it releases endorphin's and boosts your mood instantly, and it's good for you! Release your anger or mood out on a cardio workout or anything you enjoy, running, yoga, pilates, the list is endless!

So I hope that any of these tips help you or anyone and if you have any of your own comment them down below! I'd love to know any of your own tips and maybe they could help other people too:) 

Always remember your worthy of your place in this world, 

Georgia x 

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird